The Right to Read

"Cruel and unusual punishment" is what I would say has been the British prison policy of not allowing inmates to receive books from outside. Up until now, prisoners could only read books from the prison library or buy them from the Prison Service, but, thanks to a High Court decision, they will be allowed to receive them as gifts from their family, friends or whomever. The change in policy is based on accepting the notion that reading books is a right, rather than a"privilege", a position put forward by a number of English writers who lobbied for it.

I can sympathize with the inmates. For me, life would be unbearable, if I could not read freely and frequently, without any conditions or censorship. My body would be free, but my mind would be in a "prison."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Belgian Buggery

Hear, Hear!

Chinese Capitalism