Hear, Hear!

Not that it means a whole lot, but, still, the gesture has some significance. After 33 years on the throne, the Dutch queen, at 76, will abdicate in favor of her son. Not subject to election by the vote of her people, she has done the right thing by resigning, so to speak, and letting her son carry on with the royal duties.
At 86, and 60 years on the throne, Queen Elizabeth would do well to follow this example. Hanging on to the throne at her age and after so many years seems excessive and ungenerous. The same goes for King Juan Carlos, who has just turned 75, and has been on the throne for 37 years. His son will be 45 two days from now, so is already older than his father was when he became King. In Juan Carlos' case, he has, of late, given signs of poor judgment, that could very well be a result of his age.

Queen Elizabeth and King Juan Carlos should follow Queen Beatrix 's example.

Comments

  1. That, my dear friend, is wishful thinking in the case of Spain. Not likely to happen, too much in stake, such as the King's pride. Maybe he will stay in the throne a little more after the judges decides how to hide all the dirt from his son-in-law case See, I have no trust in Spain Justice System. After this comment, I have no doubt that my Spaniard's family and friends will call me heretic and ostracized me forever.

    By the way, this is my first time in this blog and I love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Belgian Buggery

Chinese Capitalism